Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Piñata 101


There will indeed be a piñata at the reception! I thought it'd be quite fun to find one and stuff it with goodies for everyone to beat up... but the more I looked at the ones available the more disgruntled I became. I did not want a Barbie, Power Rangers, or Pirates of the Carribean piñata. As much as I would find it very comforting to start wailing on one of the Power Rangers - there isn't an orange one, so it really didn't go with our orange and lime green decor. Not to mention how much they are - $15 - $20 for the fancy ones. So I bought two white science project boards, and two packs of tissue paper. Added that to a roll of tape and some hot glue and with a few hours of work you've got a really pretty piñata.

First I cut out the front and back

Then I cut strips for the sides, carefully rolling the cardboard and taping it down.


I had an extra bit so I just curled it in for extra support in the middle of it, securing the string with hot glue to the interior wall and out through the top.

Then we stuffed it with a whole bunch of goodies, and taped on the lid just like the first side.

Paul cut out all the orange tissue paper fringe, Jasna folded the paper for the side and I assembled the covering.

Paul helped me with the finishing touches last night. Green squares (about 2") wrapped around the eraser of a pencil - dab a bit of hot glue on and tuck them up very tight against each other and you get this great center.


Its almost too pretty to beat up!

Addendum (added 10.28.08): The final demise of the pretty pinata...(nothing like a whole bunch of tipsy folks swatting at a pinata with a large stick - thankfully no one lost an eye) Man did it take a lot of whacks to finally get it open!

2 comments:

M.C. said...

Brina, Paul:


The cave trip on Friday, jeans allowed at the reception, and now a pinata?

I feel like Shoeless Joe Jackson in "Field of Dreams":


Is this heaven?

Anonymous said...

That was truly the pinata that would not die!

Had a blast!

Jennie